2.23.2009

Lime Quinoa Salad


Lime Quinoa SaladI never knew the joys of lime on, well, anything until I lived in Thailand after college. It had always been lemon. Traveling in Thailand I would see "lemonade" on a menu and would end up with limeade. Most noodle dishes came with slices of lime. Hostels would have crepes with "lemon" and sugar on a menu but again lime would show up on the table. It ends up lemons are not so easy to get in Thailand, but I'm not so sure why lime in Thai did not ever get translated into lime in English. Regardless, I fell in love with lime. I get excited when I go out to eat here in the states and a slice of lime shows up. So in my first quest to make quinoa I decided to use lime. And you know what? I love quinoa and lime. Who would have guessed.

Ingredients
1 cup quinoa
2 cups stock 
1 clove of garlic minced
1/2 teaspoon lime zest
1/4 teaspoon salt

3 scallions chopped
1/2 cup red pepper
1/2 cup green pepper
3/4 cup sweet corn
1/4 baby lima beans
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons of fresh lime juice (about 2 limes)
1/4 teaspoon dried cilantro
pepper to taste

Directions
Add quinoa, stock, lime zest, garlic, and salt to a pot and bring to a boil. One you hit a boil bring the heat down and cover the pot. Cook for about 15 min, or until all of the stock is absorbed.  While the quinoa is cooking chop up the scallions, red pepper, and green pepper into small pieces. I used frozen corn and lima beans so at this point I microwaved them to defrost them. 
Quinoa
Once the quinoa is finished cooking remove from heat and mix in olive oil, lime juice, cilantro, and pepper until the quinoa is well coated. Finally, toss in the scallions, peppers, corn, and lima beans. Enjoy immediately, at room temperature, or chilled! 
Lime Quinoa Salad

1 comment:

  1. This salad looks awesome - I love quinoa and this sounds like a great flavor combination.

    ReplyDelete