1.29.2009

Lentil Almond Burgers and Orange Green Beans

After seeing a recipe for lentil almond burgers on Care2.com I was super excited to try them out. I followed the directions but they didn't quite work out as I expected. I was able to make them into burger shapes and get them onto the frying pan but once there they wouldn't stay together for me. I did substitute flaxseed meal and water for the egg. Maybe that was my downfall? A few stayed sort of together and they tasted ok. Not wonderful but ok. We'll see how the leftovers taste. 
On another note, I looooved the green beans I made with them. And they took about 1/12 of the time that the burgers took, if that. I've had lemon and almond green beans before but I decided to try orange this time. And I don't think I will ever go back to the lemon. This was too good. You don't really need to be exact with the ingredients but here is the gist:

Orange Green Beans with Toasted Almonds

Ingredients
.5 lbs green beans
1 tablespoon olive oil
.5 teaspoons orange zest
.25 teaspoons salt
.25 cups of toasted sliced almonds 
pepper to taste

Directions
Steam the green beans until tender. This will take about 6-10 minutes. Meanwhile, toast the almonds in a pan on low-medium heat until the almonds start getting slightly brown (about 5 minutes or so). Be sure to stir the almonds around frequently. In a bowl, combine the olive oil, orange zest, salt, pepper, and toasted almonds. Add the green beans, toss, and serve!

No comments:

Post a Comment